a weekly D’var Torah from Rav Sela
a weekly D’var Torah from Rav Sela
- Please join us for early services Friday night at 6:00pm and Saturday morning at 9:00am.
- Please remember Mitzvah Day this Sunday, November 3rd from 9:00am – 12:00pm. Please see below for more details.
- We would like to remind you that the RSVP’s for the Men’s Club “Thanks-for-Giving Harvest Hanukkah Dinner” are due by November 5th. Because it is necessary to order food early, and because of the size of the dinner, the Men’s Club needs at least 150 people to attend in order to hold the event. Thank you.
- Click here for flyer.Jewish Veterans Shabbat has been rescheduled to November 16th, 2013. We invite all Jewish Veterans to come and be acknowledged at services that Saturday morning. If you are a veteran and a TRZ member, we would also like to honor you with an aliyah. Please contact Rebecca Diamond or Natalie Berger so we can know who you are! We hope that it will be a lovely tribute to those who have served. Donations to Kiddush that morning will also be gratefully accepted.
- Your TRZ family enjoys sharing all your simchas and milestones. If you would like to include this information in the December/January Shofar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by November 5th.
Mitzvah Day, Sunday, Nov. 3 9am-12pm
We look forward to your joining with your TRZ family and Congregation Shir Ami as we participate in the Jewish Federation’s annual city-wide Mitzvah Day. In addition we hope you will support the blood drive across the street at Heschel. Click here for the flyer to sign up for the blood drive.
We encourage your family’s participation. This is a multi-generational day for TRZ. Some of our projects will be filling backpacks for kids in shelters and transitional housing, and making sandwiches for the Interfaith Pantry, writing letters to our armed forces, and tying blankets for the Guide Dogs of America. We will have 2 puppies and their trainers here to talk about the program. This is always a big hit with both children and adults.
Extra items for collection that day:
- Food for Sova
- new underwear and socks for MEND
- used cell phones
- used books
- new stuffed toys for children in hospitals
- new toiletries and and personal care items
- new sturdy dog toys such as strong rubber toys, kongs, nylabones and squeaky and throw toys.
Thank you in advance for all your support and kind donations. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Carol Maller/Maxine Simon
Social Action Co-Chairs
(818) 772-9581 – Division10@aol.com
We are pleased to announce we have added families of need at Napa Elementary School in Northridge as recipients of your donations. So, to support Northridge Middle School, Napa Elementary, and PALS, please continue with your donations.
Items most often needed are
- cereal (hot and cold)
- canned fruit and vegetables
- macaroni and cheese
- peanut butter
- (Monetary donations are also welcomed)
Maxine Simon and Shayne Marine
Current Events Discussion Group
The first meeting of the Current Events Discussion Group will take place on Wednesday, November 6th at 9:30am in the Social Hall. Come prepared to discuss what is going on in L.A., Washington, and points in between. Bagels and coffee will be served. This event is free to members and guests.
TRZ presents the film “Jewish Soldiers in Blue and Gray” on Sunday, November 10th.
Ten thousand Jews fought in the U.S. Civil War on both sides. This is their story.
Dinner at 6:00pm, film at 7:00pm. The cost for dinner and the movie is $7.00. The film itself is free (donations gladly accepted).
RSVP by November 3rd. Click here for flyer.
- Read Hebrew America - Thursday November 7th at 7:30pm in Room 4
- O God, Where Art Thou-The Nature of God - Tuesday Nov. 5th at 7:30pm in Chapel
- Israeli Folk Dancing - Wednesday Nov. 6th at 7:30pm in Social Hall
- Sundays @ 7 Movie Night - Sunday Nov. 10th “Jewish Soldiers in Blue and Gray”
- Current Events Discussion Group - Wednesday, November 6 at 9:30am in the Social Hall
Nursury School News
Reminder- Mitzvah Day is this Sunday from 9:00a.m. until noon. Bring the family for a feel good day of helping other’s. There will be a Trike-A-Thon for the preschool children. For a $5.00 donation to participate, your money will go to ”Beit Issie Shapiro”, a school in Israel for children with disabilities.
Be a part of your child’s school. Come to the next Parent Council Meeting on Monday, November 4th at 7:45p.m.
Have a great weekend! And remember to turn your clocks back one hourSaturday night.
Religious School News
In preparation for Mitzvah Day this Sunday at 9:00am, the students have been studying about tzedakah. In class the younger students will be making individual tzedakah boxes which they will take home to collect tzedakah. The students will bring back the box when it is full and add it to the class’s tzedakah box. Each class will decide to which charity they will donate the money they raised. It is an excellent opportunity to teach about a specific organization and the importance of their donation. The teachers came up with unique containers for the boxes and new creative ways to decorate the boxes.
The next subject the entire school will be studying about is the holiday of Chanukah.
See you Sunday!
Please be aware that beginning November 1st, 2013, Vons/ Pavilions will not contribute to the eScrip program if you pay for groceries with a Credit Card.
They will continue to support the program when purchases are paid by:
- Check or Debit Card
- Smart check
- VONS gift card (SAFEWAY)
PLEASE NOTE that SAFEWAY/VONS gift cards are available in the TRZ office in $100 denominations, and your purchases support our Sisterhood scrip program…
Sisterhood is collecting new underwear and socks for MEND. Please bring your donations to the temple and leave in the collection bin in the gallery.
Hanukkah Toy Drive
Men’s Club has begun its annual Hanukkah Toy Drive, collecting toys and gifts for children of all ages, including teen’s. Please bring a new unwrapped gift to the collection box in the Synagogue office from now through November 15th. Remember, Hanukkah comes early this year and begins on Wednesday, November 27th.
Harvest Hanukkah Dinner
Men’s Club will be hosting a “Thanks-for-Giving Harvest Hanukkah Dinner” on Friday, November 22nd at 6:00pm. Come and enjoy brisket and turkey, latkes and stuffing, chicken and pumpkin soups, and much more! Because this is a special event, we need at least 150 people attending in order to hold it. We ask that you RSVP by November 5th so that we know how to plan. Please click here for the flyer.
Wishing you a wonderful Shabbat from the Youth Department. Be sure to come on by our booth at Mitzvah Day this Sunday. We will be selling fresh popcorn and gourmet Hannukah gelt. ALL PROCEEDS GO TO TZEDAKAH!!!
Mark your calendar for our upcoming events:
Kadima (4th-6th grade) Lounge Nights are Nov. 5th & 19th from 6:30-7:45 pm. Join us for a fun filled evening of friends, fun, pizza and much more! $8
USY (7th-12th) Lounge Night will be Nov.13th from 6-8pm. It will be a very special Casino night. So be sure to join us for an action packed evening. $ 8 includes Pizza dinner and the whole shebang.
November 23rd Kadima & USY will be heading to Mountasia for a very fun evening. This an event not to be missed! To RSVP and/or for more info email email@example.com.
Wishing you a wonderful Shabbat!